Virtualization and Cloud Computing
Virtualization and cloud computing have been game changers in corporate data centers worldwide, enabling an unprecedented degree of IT efficiency and agility. For organizations that haven't yet made the transition from outdated legacy systems to virtualization and cloud computing, VCE provides a fast and dependable way to get there.
Virtualization and Cloud Computing: Related But Distinct
Virtualization and cloud computing are so intertwined that they're sometimes talked about as if they're one and the same, but in fact they are distinct phenomena.
Virtualization—which creates an abstraction layer between physical compute, storage, and network resources and the applications that use those resources—serves as the essential foundation of cloud computing by supporting:
- Highly efficient utilization of physical IT assets.
- Fast resource provisioning and easy workload mobility.
Cloud computing builds on virtualization by implementing:
- Self-service for cloud service users. This self-service aspect of cloud computing amplifies the agility that virtualization provides, resulting in the tremendous agility levels associated with cloud computing.
- Multi-tenancy and usage metering. These facets of cloud design build on the efficiency aspect of virtualization by encouraging service users to use only what they need.
Virtualization and Cloud Computing Infrastructure Solutions from VCE
VCE was formed by IT industry leaders EMC and Cisco in 2009 with the mission of making it simpler and faster for organizations to implement cloud computing and IT-as-a-Service. To achieve this mission, VCE developed converged infrastructure solutions that pre-integrate all the components needed to support cloud computing: server, storage, network, virtualization, and multi-tenancy capabilities all in a consolidated platform ready-made for delivery of private or public cloud services.
With these Vblock™ Systems converged infrastructure solutions—which feature components from EMC, Cisco, and VMware—organizations are able to move more quickly and with greater confidence toward data center virtualization and cloud service deployment. Vblock Systems are available in a range of sizes, from smaller systems suitable for mid-sized businesses or branch offices, up to enterprise class systems to meet the needs of large corporations or cloud computing providers.
Virtualization and Cloud Computing Services from VCE
Along with converged infrastructure systems, VCE offers expert services in support of cloud computing and virtualization. Our services include:
- Unified technical support for the entire Vblock Systems infrastructure stack: compute, storage, networking, and virtualization.
- Professional services to help you plan, implement, and optimize cloud deployments so your organization can maximize the cloud computing benefits that you gain from your infrastructure investment.
- Remote managed services to monitor and maintain Vblock Systems based cloud deployments or virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) deployments.
Learn more about Vblock Systems.
Learn more about VCE services for virtualization and cloud computing.