Enterprise-grade security management technologies typically support VCE Vblock® Systems, albeit with varying degrees of depth and breadth. To unlock the full value of an investment in VCE, it is important for these technologies to be able to view and manage Vblock Systems as one integrated entity, as opposed to just a collection of individual components. Effective security management tools can explicitly understand the relationships between Vblock Systems hardware and software components, and are better prepared to support governance and security policy administration objectives for workloads and the underlying infrastructure.
The security management space is broad and vaguely defined; for VCE, it is a reference to systems that
- Work with primary security sources, e.g., firewall logs, data leak violations, and IDS alerts, to provide information regarding current state of security and/or compliance, and
- Potentially offer assistance in investigating or remediating security control violations.
Generally, this means technologies like log management, SIEM, eGRC, and security orchestration. VCE has been working with a range of security product vendors to embed some measure of Vblock System awareness within their technologies.
VCE™ Select Program includes products from investor companies: EMC, RSA, VMware and Cisco. Products here include:
- RSA Security Analytics leverages and extends the architecture and analytics of RSA NetWitness and provides a security analysis platform by combining network monitoring, traditional log-centric SIEM, forensics, compliance, and big data management and analytics.
- VMware vCenter™ Log Insight™ delivers automated log management through log analytics, aggregation, and search; extending VMware’s leadership in analytics to log data. Pre-integrated with VCE Vision™ Intelligent Operations log management facilities, Log Insight presents cohesive Vblock System information via a vCenter plug-in.
VCE Technology Alliance Partner (TAP) Program extends the VCE security portfolio and offers a compatible partner-solution catalog via Vblock Ready certification. Partners here include:
- McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) provides an open framework and extensible platform that unifies security management for systems, applications, networks, data, and compliances for IT operation professionals in large-number enterprises.